Last week I lured my friend Albert to my apartment with promises of bourbon and talked him into sitting down and letting me record him playing a couple of songs on my computer. I got a good hour and a half’s worth of “tape” and decided to edit it down today instead of working on a take-home exam.
So this is 45 minutes of Albert playing songs on my couch - it’s rough and conversational and I love it. I had to cut out a few songs (sweet black angel and like three songs from In The Aeroplane Over The Sea) because I occasionally forgot to not sing along.
1. you ain’t goin’ nowhere (bob dylan)
2. the night they drove old dixie down (the band)
3. [Albert and I banter about how Paul Walker is probably the best actor of our generation, Albert tells me about his favorite Sean Penn movies, we sing a couple of Faces songs, and banter]
4. Albert starts playing jolene by Ray LaMontagne, but says “fuck this song” at the first chorus and starts playing his original, muscadine wine
5. friend of the devil (the grateful dead)
6. slave song (albert hoover)
7. plastic jesus (notably used in the film “Cool Hand Luke”)
8. without you (badfinger/harry nilsson)
9. thirteen (big star)
10. dead flowers (the rolling stones/townes van zandt)
11. iced tea with lime (albert hoover) which goes into a cover of where did our love go? by the supremes
I apologize for my sub-par graphic design skills when it comes to making album art, but you can and should download it right here